1. When phenol is reacted with CHCl3 and NaOH followed by acidification, salicylaldehyde is obtained. Give the intermediate reactions.
2. A scarlet compound A is treated with con. HNO3 to give a chocolate brown precipitate B. Can you identify A? The precipitate B on warming with con. HNO3 in the presence of Mn(NO3)2 produces a pink-coloured solution due to the formation of C. Can you identify C.
3. Write down the structures of the stereoisomers formed when cis-2-butene is reacted with bromine.
4. There are _________ pi bonds in a nitrogen molecule.
5. The compound prepared by the action of magnesium on dry ethyl bromide in ether is known as _________ reagent.
JEE screening 1982